Friday 21 April 2017

The Resurrection

The Resurrection

So I recently started writing music again. After a 18 year hiatus, my old band asked me if I'd like to join the fun and start writing again. There was a small problem - I live in Australia and they were back in Malta. But we gave it a shot anyway. And the result was a resurrection of my passion for writing heavy metal.

Back to Metal

Had my old band not reached out to me recently, I might have taken a lot longer to return to metal. I was playing around with a cheap bass guitar, experimenting with extremely basic jazz techniques, looking for where my passions lie. And as usual, all along, it was right there in front of me - the thing I knew best, good ol' metal.

With the renewed attempt to put the band back together, we wrote a couple of new songs, which was fantastic to get my creative juices flowing again - but, it couldn't last while I was located on the other side of the world. But now I was hooked! I wanted to write again, I wanted to create my own kinda metal. The question was, how? And thankfully I had hundreds of young musicians and artists who had already blazed the trail for me to follow.

The World has Changed

Our self-funded CD back in 1995
The world had moved on since the late nineties. When we released a CD back in 1995, we were looking for a record label, self funding our own CD, buying a very expensive small amount of studio time to record our songs. Today, it was all at my fingertips. With a few hundred dollars, I could record my stuff at home, mix and publish it. And this wasn't bleeding edge - artists on the Internet had been doing this for over a decade already, so I just had to follow in the footsteps of musicians 20 years my junior to enjoy this new world.

Tutorials Everywhere

And the tutorials! When I started looking around a couple of years back, I was thinking "How can you learn anything from YouTube? Whatever happened to simple text based instructions!" - well, how wrong was I! I have spent literally days watching YouTube, learning everything from how to record songs, mix your songs, adjust your guitar action, write your own drums in MIDI, etc. etc. etc.

It's a new world and I had to embrace it. So here I am, giving it a shot at the overripe age of 44.

And this is my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment