Thursday 15 August 2019

Writer's Block

I used to happily brag that I never suffered from Writer's Block. I seemed to be able to create songs out of thin air once I got back into it a few years ago. I worked non-stop these past two years and released my debut album, with time and energy left over to do marketing and all the other things that go with an album release. When I was a few weeks away from official release, I started a new project, try to keep the momentum going. One single every 6 weeks was the goal. I managed to get one song out in July.

And then it all ground to a halt...

I'm not sure what happened. I just have no fire inside me anymore. I play stuff and it sounds ok. I used to lie awake thinking of all the things I could do to make a song better. Now the feeling, the desire disappears the moment I put the guitar down.

It could be that real life and work have ramped up these last few months leaving no room for anything else.

It could be that it's winter and I've gone into some kind of hibernation.

It could be because I'm changing everything about my workflow, my virtual instruments, my drums, the way I write songs in general.

It could be because I tried doing vocal lessons and realised how much work I have to put into it to get where I want to be. You can't really practice regularly at full volume without a soundproof space.

It could be because I was reminded about how many things I was supposed to be doing regularly - like practicing guitar - that I just never do anymore.

And instead, I come home from work and sit in front of the TV! I never used to do this. Or when I do sit down in front of the computer to do some music, I only need the slightest distraction - and bang - the moment is gone.

I've given advice to many others about writers block and it's usually "don't be so hard on yourself, you just need to give yourself time to recuperate and re-energise". Maybe it's time to listen to my own advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment